Monday, April 12, 2010

A Perfect 100, x2

As I posted about on my previous post, this past weekend was filled with some non-running athletic activities. Friday was the faculty vs. student basketball game at my school. We played the 8th grade team of mixed boys and girls. I played basketball for a long time, however, that was not the case for all other members of my team. We had trouble getting the ball past half court. I tried not to show any frustration, but it was hard not to be when my teammates turned the ball over almost every possession. But, I had a good time and the students beat us, just like it should be.

Saturday morning I got up early to get in a short run of 5 miles. I had ran Friday in the late afternoon but wanted to log a few miles before my canoeing trip later in the day. I ran at a fairly slow pace, but it was so nice to just jog along and not worry about how fast I was running. I think I need to do this more is good for the mind and the body!

Saturday afternoon I met my friends and we drove up to where we were starting our canoe adventure. I started was in a canoe with 2 other people and got to sit out the first shift. It was nice to look at all of the beautiful homes along the Fox River. They were all so big and many had docks that led out to the river. It was very picturesque. There were 2 other canoes as well - one that held 3 people and another one that held 2.

After the first switch, I took over the front position in the canoe and stayed their for the remainder of the trip. We stopped a few other times, though, so it wasn't like I did not ever get a break.

We stopped at a Mexican restaurant along the way to eat some food. Most of us were hungry and wanted to refuel our bodies for the remainder of the trip. I took out my meter and tested - 100. I am never 100. The girl that was sitting next to me was impressed (she is in grad school for sports nutrition). After our short meal, we continued on.

We canoed for 12 miles on Saturday. Now when I think about it, 12 miles does not seem like a far distance; however, in a canoe, it is very far! We did it in about 4 hours or so, arriving at our destination just as dusk was approaching. My muscles were tired from canoeing so many hours and my arms felt like wet noodles. However, it was all worthwhile because it was such a fun adventure.

Saturday was my first time canoeing and I could definitely feel the result of the exercise in my muscles when I got up on Sunday morning. I have fully recovered today, and even got another 100 blood sugar reading this afternoon. Maybe canoeing is very good for my blood sugars?

1 comment: