Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

A Family of Runners

In the past few years, I have heard this story over and over from my parents: "We ran the first Benefit Classic together.  Dad ran the whole thing, but mom walked up the infamous Eagle Point Hill at mile 9."  They trained tougher, running 4 miles after they got done working most nights and up the numerous large hills in the city where they currently reside.  My dad is convinced his time is faster than my half time, but we cannot find out since the results cannot be found.  I have my doubts...

Growing up there was always a family that was friends with my parents.  Both of the parents were runners, and still are to this day.  All 4 of their children ran in high school and 2 ran in college.  I know the parents still enter a few races every year.  Secretly, I've always hoped my parents would run again.  However, whenever I bring it up, they both have the same response: "my knees can't take it."  

Then, my mom joined "boot camp."  She told me a few weeks ago that she was joining.  The program seems rather intense - a mixture of kickboxing and resistance training 6 days a week for an hour a day.  Plus, they want you to eat a certain way, with more protein and less carbohydrates.  I was surprised she signed up for it.  She's been a religious treadmill walker for the past 10 or so years, but wanted a change and to shed some weight in the process. 

Bootcamp started the past weekend and they did an initial fitness test, which involved sit-ups, push-ups, and a timed mile in the neighborhood the studio is located in.  None of the females in my family have any type of upper body muscle, and my mom was telling me how hard the push-ups were for her.  I know they would have been difficult for me, but then again I haven't attempted a push-up since senior year gym in high school.  But, I really wanted to know about her mile.  

In addition to running a half marathon, my mom also ran cross-country when she was in high school.  I have no idea how long her races were, but she does have a rather strong running background.  She told me she walked up the hills and ran everything else.  When I asked her time, she seemed rather proud of that 12:04 mile.  

I was proud of her, too.  It takes a lot of courage to do something that you haven't ever done for haven't done for many years.  After a few comments about how she could do the Galloway run 4/walk 1 minute method during  5k, or run every flat surface and walk inclines, just like today, I got a response I was more than surprised to hear: "I'll think about it."  

I've always wanted to be in a family of runners.  I once had a dream that I was part of a family that did a marathon relay, and won.  Now, of course, that has never happened.  My brother and I run, but that is it.  I vaguely remember my sister running sporadically while in college, but I am not 100% sure.  I doubt her legs are running right now, but more her brain all of the time.  But, my mom's timed mile gives me hope that I may be able to convince her to start running.  Maybe we'll be a family where 60% run.  I can always hope.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I hope she does start up again! I totally understand your dream! I have wanted to run with family member... and the closest I have is my brother-in-law, who I love... but he lives in Kansas City! He will be here next weekend and we are doing a 5K for fun.

    Keep us updated on your mom's progress! :)

    ReplyDelete