Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Tri the Du Race Report

Back when September started, I wanted to race or do a long bike ride every weekend.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, doing one of the things I love the most every single weekend.  However, when my alarm clock woke me up at 5:55 this morning, all I wanted to do was go back to bed.  It also didn't help that my blood sugar was 350, for no apparent reason.  But, I had already pre-registered for the event and I refuse to waste money, so I got up, hoped I would feel better, and started the 1 or so drive south to the Kankakee area.

I had been to Kankakee once before for a school inservice day, but as I was driving it reminded me of Iowa.  All farms and only small towns lined the highways.  After finally getting off the interstate, I got lost.  This did not surprise me because I have no sense of direction.  I finally spotted a car with a racing bike on the back and just decided to follow him to the start.  However, he also was lost.  Luckily, he stopped a group of runners to ask for directions and we finally made it to the start at 8:20.

After going to registration, getting all of my stuff ready for transition, and the stickers on my bike and helmet, I tested again and was 78.  By this time, I was hungry because I did not eat breakfast.  I decided to eat a CLIF bar because it was easy to eat, I knew I would have no stomach issues, and I like them.  I got on my way, and listened to the talk at 8:45, where they discussed basic rules.  It was common sense and pretty boring.

The race started in 3 waves: 1st, men 39 and under and relays, 2nd men 40 and over, then all women.  After scoping out the competition, I decided to start in the 2nd row for the 3-mile run.  I think it was the right choice.  As usual in duathlons, I got killed on the bike.  However, for me, I biked really well.  The roads weren't the best and there were some hills, so I am really quite proud of that bike time.  The final run was brutal and I felt awful.   I was so excited to finally see the finish line and crossed it, and wanted water immediately.  This was fitting because my ending blood sugar was 350.  I've learned that not all days will be successful with diabetes.  However, I will learn something everyday.

My stats were:

Run (3 miles) #1: 21:07 (7:02 pace)
Transition #1: 1:28
Bike (14 miles): 47:31 (17.7 MPH speed)
Transition #2: 34 seconds
Run (3 miles) #2: 22:30 (7:30 pace)
Overall time: 1:33:12

Overall Place: 43/179
Gender Place: 7/65
Age Group Place: 1/11

I was 14th overall female and 70 total overall if you look at just my bike time, but would have been the 3rd female overall and 26th overall out of everyone if you look at just my run times.

It was a good race and would recommend it, especially in you live in the south suburbs of Chicago.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a great race! :) Those times look super speedy to me - on their own! Pair them with the other sports and you are blowing my mind! LOL :)

    You won that race giveaway if you want to email me for the giveaway code (see my Friday post). :)

    ReplyDelete