Saturday came, and I don't think it could have gone any better. The result:
Overall time: 1:34:05
Gender place: 2/21
Age Group Place: 1/5
Overall Place: 8/52
Some times things in running don't make sense. When I look at the race on paper, I should not have PR'd, especially by 6 minutes. The weather was in the 50s to start and by the time I ended it was only in the 60s. My slowest mile was mile 12, a 7:35 pace. My fastest mile was mile 4, a 7:01 pace. At mile 7, I stopped to stretch my leg. It was getting some cramps and my stride was impacted by it. I shook it out for a few seconds and continued on.
I also think the following helped me get my PR:
- Pitbull Power Hour at 4:30 AM while getting ready.
- Wearing my purple sunglasses and not my running sunglasses. I forgot to pack my running sunglasses so the purple ones were what I had to wear if I wanted to wear any. I decided I didn't really care, and put them on.
- Convincing a friend to run the half yesterday so we could ride together.
- Eating GU at the slowest pace ever. I opened by GU packet at mile 4 and still had not finished it by mile 10 when I tossed it aside. I took a little every so often, but I am out of "GU eating shape".
- Registering for the Boston Marathon on Friday. It made me so excited.
- Not having any expectations.
- Believing in myself, knowing that I could do it.
I am so happy to finally make it into the 1:30s. Now, I need a new goal to aim for.