Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Diabetes Blog Week Post #1 - Doctors

As I've done attempted in the past, this year I will be participating in Diabetes Blog Week.  This year my goal is to actually blog about diabetes for the entire week.


Today's prompt deals with doctor visits:



I think I am in the minority in that my doctor spends more than 15 minutes with me, rather 30 minutes.  I don't hide the facts of my life from my doctor.  He knows that I am a runner and that I do a plethora of cross-training.  He knows that I have always struggled with low blood sugars, and the panic that I feel when I see a number over 200 come across the screen on my meter.  He knows that change for me is very hard, and also that I don't like to use the Bolus Wizard on my pump when I eat.  I believe in being completely honest with my doctor.  This means telling him the good things happening, the bad things, and the ugly things.    

If my doctor read my blog, I don't think he would at all surprised.  I blog about what is important to me on it - mostly running, a little diabetes, with some random stuff thrown in.  Having diabetes requires a lot of work, and even more so if you are an athlete.  Diabetes is always present, and needs a lot of attention.  I think that many people start to have problems because they do not pay enough attention to it.  It is more than counting carbs, finger sticks, and insulin shots/boluses.  It is carrying GU with you on any any run over 3 miles and wearing a bracelet that identifies me as having a dysfunctional pancreas.  

I feel incredibly lucky to have a doctor that understands me, and can help me take care of myself better.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are participating this year because it led me to your blog. I recently started running (last November) and am so impressed with all the races you have been able to do (and your PRs are amazing!). I look forward to reading more of your blog and how you deal with T1D and running :)

    ReplyDelete