Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Time to Call the Toe Truck

My mom always said this phrase to us when we stubbed our toe as children. Anytime that I have a foot issue I always think of her and this phrase.

In high school I found out that I had a problem in my left foot. I think the technical name is tarsal coalition, but I am not quite sure. Basically, I have two bones connected that are not supposed to be. To fix my problem I had custom inserts for my shoes made. I was supposed to wear them at all times - during my basketball games, when I ran, even in my dress shoes (not realistic, though).

The orthodics seemed to fix my problem at first. However, as time went on, I began wearing them less and less, until not at all. I do not even know where they are right now because I have not worn them in a couple years. I think I may need to dig them out.

My big toe on my left foot has been hurting at random times recently. Sometimes it is during a run, other times when I am not doing a single thing. The pain, although it is not severe, comes and goes at it pleases. It is rather annyoing.

I have been trying to figure out why I am having my toe issues. I have not gotten new running shoes recently, and the shoes that I have been wearing during the day are pairs that I wear on a consistent basis. So, why the pain?

As far as I know, there is not much you can do for an ailing toe. I'm sure it is recommended that a person rests, but I have a hard time doing that, especially with the Flying Pig coming up. What do you think I should do?

No comments:

Post a Comment