Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Back on the Bike

Today I got to go on a bike ride with friends.  I had not been on my road bike since last August.  It had been far too long.

After volunteering at an aid station for a local 5k race this morning, 8 of us got on our bikes and rode 20 miles on the path.  There was one almost-going-to-eat-dust moment, which was saved by handlebars on a bike instead.  And then I decided to go on the grass and ended up gracefully dismounting on my feet.  Other than that, all was well.  The bike ride ended with a trip to our normal coffee/bagel place.

I forgot how much I like to ride.  I am a complete novice and know next to nothing about biking, but it is completely different from running.  When I ride, I can go fast and feel the breeze.  Many times while running i feel slow...like I'm barely moving along.  But on the bike it is different.

For me, biking takes lots of concentration because I'm new at it.  I'm sure if I rode more and had more experience, I would feel much more comfortable on the bike.  But, that is not where I am right now.  However, even though it takes a lot of concentration, doesn't mean my mind didn't wander.  Two key thoughts from today's ride:

1.  I am going to do a triathlon for sure.  Most likely not this year, but next year.  I am not going to make the switch over to only doing triathlons or doing mainly triathlons, but I want to try one.

2.  Last year I completed two duathlons (run/bike/run).  One was the weekend of the Illinois Marathon this year, and the other one is in June and I'll be out of town for it.  Therefore, I can either find a few others to compete in.  Do they have longer distance duathlons?  The two I've ever done have been short (2/14/2 and 2/11/2).  I'd love a longer one...like 10k/30miles/half marathon one distance.  Please let me know if you know of any.

I hope you enjoyed your three day weekend!     

1 comment: