Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Yoga Geriatric Style

A few weeks ago, my mom asked me if I wanted to go to yoga with her.  I was surprised at this question because although my mom exercises, never has she had any interest in doing it with me.  I planned on visiting my parents and grandparents for part of my spring break, so she knew I would be home around that time anyway.  I do believe she was even more surprised when I said yes, I would join her.

Keep in mind that my yoga experience is incredibly limited.  Back in 2011 when I was training for the Chicago Marathon I went to yoga a few times the day of my long run to help with stretching.  Since then, I have been to one class.  Yoga and me just aren't compatible...I am not flexible, have a hard time being still, and like to move fast.  I could care less about how I breathe, while that is a main component of yoga.  Can you see why I haven't been back in over a year?

When my mom and I got to class, it was pretty much how my mom described it, with the average age of the person in then class being about 65.  My mom also told me that I could not sit by her for fear of laughing.  I am proud to report that I made it the entire session without laughing out loud.

When I went to other yoga classes, I always felt (more or less) like the outsider with being so inflexible.  However, today, I fit right in.  Granted, we didn't do a whole lot of movements/exercises/poses (whatever they're called), but what we did do, I was able to do, which made me feel good.

The moral of this story is that if I plan on going to yoga again, I think it would be best to find a geriatric class, which is obviously better suited to my ability level.

No comments:

Post a Comment