Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'm Going Crazy

Over the past couple days, I have organized almost all of my "teacher things." Now, I feel like I am a pretty organized person to begin with for the most part, but until Tuesday morning, I didn't know how unorganized I had become. I sorted through boxes of files, posters, bulletin board sets, trimmers, and window clings (all vital components to a colorful, happy, "I want to learn here" classroom in my opinion). I only have a couple things left to go through now, and it feels so good. Everything is neat, tidy and where it should be. Hopefully this makes setting up my new classroom in August easier.

Since my ankle/leg hurts, I have devoted numerous hours to organizing. However, yesterday I started to feel like I was going crazy. It had been almost a week since I really exercised. I don't remember the last time I took that much time off consecutively. I have been icing my ankle (thank you, Marcus, for the advice) and I think it helped. Today I went to the Country Club to use their fitness room. I knew that I should not run so I planned on going to bike and lift some weights.

However, when I walked through the fitness center entrance I immediately saw the treadmills staring back at me and got sad. I wanted to run on one so bad. It also did not help that on my drive over there I saw numerous walkers and runners out. And the weather is upper 70s and purely sunny today does not help either. Knowing in my head that I must heal, I walked past my beloved treadmills and got on the stationary bike for awhile. At 30 minutes on the bike, with my IPOD on and the TV on, I was bored to death. I decided to lift some weights and then get back on the bike to end my "workout." I was there for 1.5 hours, but it didn't really feel like I accomplished anything.

On my way home, as I passed all kinds of runners/walkers, I thought to myself: how come I can run for miles and be fine, yet bike for 10 minutes and go crazy from boredom? I think I just have a runner's mind, if there is such a thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to run this weekend. Then, just maybe, I'll stop going crazy.

1 comment:

  1. I understand your plight. If ice feels good then keep icing (20 minute max). Have you tried the elliptical? It's more similar to running than biking. Or you could try swimming if you can find someplace with a pool. I share your hatred for the bike. I stand by my belief that if you aren't training for a tri, you shouldn't be on the bike. Not to say that you shouldn't cross train from time to time, but the bike works different muscles and (in my opinion) doesn't give the aerobic workout that running does. But don't ask me...ask Lance Armstrong with his 2:50:00 marathon. But he's more machine than man.

    ReplyDelete