Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

I'm Moving Up

This week I was able to run 5 days according to my running regimen, logging 1.25 miles each day. To my surprise, I did not become too out of shape in the past month and a half, which I am very thankful for. I completed most of my runs in 9 minutes and a couple seconds. However, you really don't have to be in that great of shape to log that time. Next week will give me a better picture of my fitness level, when I get to run 2 miles for 6 days of the week.

I have not been injured since high school, when I got hurt playing basketball. I was on crutches for 3 weeks and then in a lovely boot for quite some time. For the past 6 years, I have been running injury free and seemed to have forgotten the tole of being injured. Not only do I require more insulin because I am not burning as many calories, it has also effected my mindset and presence.

Before being injured, I would have a goal in mind of how many miles I wanted to run. Sometimes I would run more, rarely less, or decide to run and then work out on another machine. I could spend hours at the gym, and feel great afterword. Now, I have to have a different mindset before working out. I have to prepare to only run for that set amount of miles, and then demand my body to stop so it can get better. This past week, I wanted to keep running, but knew that I couldn't. It made me feel sad.

I think the next thing is the hardest to explain: being injured has effected my presence. It is like there is something missing if I can't run so many miles a day. Running makes me happy, and although it is not the only thing that makes me happy by a long shot, it feels like there is a void in me right now. Running provides balance in for me and gives me time to think about things I need to think about. I don't really know how to explain it, but I do know not running leaves a void in my life.

So you might be thinking that "you are running again, so why do you feel this void?" I don't know...I think it is because I want to do more than I can. I had a little taste of running, but want more. For the meantime I'll stick to the plan and hope for the best.

2 comments:

  1. You said:
    "I think it is because I want to do more than I can. I had a little taste of running, but want more."

    I can really relate to that statement, even though we are very, very different. I am a 66-year-old fat sedentary man with Type 2 diabetes, and I'll never be able to run because of some foot problems.

    However, I really enjoy exercising by walking up many flights of stairs in my high-rise apartment building. I was exercising, losing weight, and feeling much better, until a couple months ago, when I developed some problems that made me stop the stair-walking, and I've been very restless ever since.

    I'll be seeing my podiatrist this week, and I'm really looking forward to getting cleared to resume vigorous stair-walking.

    Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you'll be cleared to exercise again. It is so hard not being able to!

    ReplyDelete