Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gushers

Gushers were a snack that I ate when I was young. If you've never had them or cannot remember, they are fruit snacks that are filled with a drop of fruit juice. I typically had them when I was low or needed something before a sporting event that would not upset my stomach. However, a few days ago the word gusher came into my mind as I was changing my pump site.

I fully admit I'm not the best diabetic - I don't change my pump sites every 3 days like I am supposed to, rather, it is more like 4. I realized a few days after I put in a new set that there was some blood below the circular band aid thing that attaches to my skin. It was getting more and more irritated as time went on and itched a ton so I decided to take it out. And it turned out to be a gusher!

As I carefully pulled the adhesive circle off of my stomach, blood squirted out in a direct line from my stomach. I quickly grabbed some Kleenex, only to find that a few moments later they were too wet from all of the blood and I needed more already. I am not sure how many tissues I went through trying to stop the blood from coming out of my stomach, but it seemed like a ton. I finally ended up holding an old washcloth to my stomach after awhile because I thought I filled a landfill with Kleenex on my own.

Today when I look down at my stomach I can see a perfectly round red dot where my gusher infusion set was located. It does not itch nearly as bad and hopefully will continue to heal. I must have hit a blood vessel at the perfect angle to get it to gush like that. Have you ever had a gusher?

4 comments:

  1. Luckily, I never had a gusher in my year of pumping.
    My favourite occurrences are 'squirters' - when the blood shoots out of your finger. I also love it when you get surprise extra holes on your fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too lucky - but squirters are right up there, but not quite as messy. There is nothing quite like poking your finger only to find that another hold is bleeding. The joys of being a diabetic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, YES! I used to get them EVERY TIME I put my set in my stomach. I converted to 100% hips and upper thigh sites. This might not work for you running though, but it might be worth a try. I HATE those gushers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a few gushers, probably less than five over 8 years of pumping, but that one you describe sounds like you hit the jackpot. I haven't had one like that.

    ReplyDelete