However, the coldness of winter is not what this post is about. I was reflecting on how different I am today than I was one year ago today.
Last year at this time I:
- Was still trying to build up my iron
- Was sick with a cold
- Went out to bars on weeknights
- Went to bars on the weekends
- Was skiing in Wisconsin
- Thought 10 miles outside in winter was a long distance to run
- Thought I knew what my race schedule would be for 2011
Last year I also had all of these dreams about getting certain times in races (see: half marathon goal of 2011), but failed at nearly every one. In the past month I've realized that when I concern myself purely with time, and not with enjoyment, running becomes a chore that must get done rather than my favorite thing to do. And I don't like chores....at all.
What have I learned in my 26th year to make me wiser going into year 27?
- Running with friends is better than running alone.
- Confidence is impossible if you beat yourself up for not being perfect.