Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Week 2 of Marathon Training

After completing week, 1, I set 2 goals for myself:

1.  Complete track workout - success!
2.  Run slower on Sunday. - fail.


Week 2 didn't go according to plan, just like week 1.  I  hope this trend does not continue.

Week 2 started off great when I completed a modified ladder workout.  It was so nice outside which made it pleasant to run in circles around the track.  Originally I was disappointed with how my ladder went, but after further review, it is decent.  I have to remember I have not completed track workouts in 2.5 months so it is kind-of like starting over. 

Wednesday was a nightmare of a run.  I was feeling okay to start, and then things turned awful.  My stomach hurt so bad and I just couldn't continue.  Thursday was better, and I ran 7 easy miles with a friend. 

Then came Friday.  I was all set to go running right after school got out before meeting up with friends for dinner.  But, other things came up and my run didn't end up happening, so it ended up being an unplanned rest day.  Saturday my legs felt great and ran well.  Today, my run was okay, but I felt sluggish throughout the entire thing due to improper fueling. 

What went well: I successfully completed my track workout, and had a great run on Sunday.

Goals for week 3: Complete all runs according to schedule.  Run slower on Sunday.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

I cannot believe there are only 18 weeks until the Illinois marathon.  I am looking forward to it.  Another runner from my running group ran a marathon this weekend and qualified for Boston.  This will sound mean, but I was shocked.  She occasionally ran in my track group this summer and I was ahead of her.  On tempo and long runs, I was also ahead of her.  If she can BQ, then I know I can do it.  But, that is not the way I want to be thinking.

The mind is powerful.  I have run races where I believed I could truly run a certain time and have succeeded.  I have run numerous races where I told myself I could do it, but not actually believed in myself and my ability.  For each of those runs, I came up short of my goal. 

When I ran my last race, the Hot Chocolate 15k, I truly believed I could run a sub-1:09.  What happened?  I have 1:08:27.  There were some other motivating factors for me to run well, but my mind truly believed I could do it. 

As 2011 comes to an end and 2012 is just around the corner, I am starting to realize that my mind is holding me back.  I feel proud of what I accomplished this year, and know next year will be even better.

Does your mind hold you back?  Or, have you mastered that area?

1 comment:

  1. For triathlons, I have always called mental toughness the 4th discipline of training, and it is my weakness ahead of the run and I have clearly documented how much I struggle running

    ReplyDelete