Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spring Sprint 10k Race Report

This race, in my mind, marks the start of my racing season (although I ran a race in January).  I could not have asked for a better day.  It was in the low 40s to start the race, but it did warm up a lot by the end.  After trying to read the course map on Saturday, I gave up and just decided to run.  I had one simple goal: 43:xx.

Going into this race, my diabetes management was less than stellar.  Contrary to what doctors want, I don't test prior to the start of a race.  My nerves make me run high and I get more uneasy by seeing a high blood sugar reading on the screen.  I go 100% based on feel.  After doing a warm-up, I felt OK, but not the best.  I thought it might be from running the day before, or just nerves.  But, I believed I would PR.  Here is what actually happened...

Time: 43:41
Average Pace: 7:02/mile
Overall Place: 26/199
Female Place: 7/95
Age Group: 2/10


This race was not chipped-timed, so I promptly positioned myself near the front of the start.  The 10k and 5k were starting at the same time, and I didn't want to get stuck behind any walkers or slower runners.  The gun went off and I went out too quick.  The first mile was way too fast, but I felt good - 6:35.  By mile 2, I decided to slow it down some, and successfully did.

Mile 4 is when my blood sugar nightmares happened.  At that point, my blood sugar was so high all I wanted to do was puke.  I am not sure about you (if you have diabetes), but when I am in the 300s I just feel like absolute crap.  But, I knew I still had a 43-minute finish in me if I kept on going...no matter how slowly.  Mile 5 ended up being my slowest mile, yet I had a good kick.  I think I was just so happy to see the finish line.  Also, I was ready to be done.  I don't enjoy courses where you have to do the same loop twice.  It is just not fun. 

Overall, I am happy with my time.  I rarely race 10ks, but I am starting to like that distance.  However, this race left me tired - not only my legs from running, but all from the blood sugar fiasco.  I ran an additional 5 miles later in the day, but that is nowhere near the 13 I wanted to get in.  However, I am not too concerned.  With some rearranging of my schedule, the problem was easily solved. 

What is your favorite race distance?  I can't decide...I love them all!

1 comment:

  1. OOooeee.... "my slowest mile" yet you achieved your 43 goal! wow. I'm also quite happy for you because I know how much you dislike the 10k distance.
    And the BG/race/nerves/highs.... wtf eh? I like your system of just not checking. I couldn't do it, I'm too much of a control freak when it comes to that.
    My fav. distance has always been the half.

    ReplyDelete