Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Noon at the Gym

I've written about this before (this post), but if I go to the gym around noon the crowd is far, far different than my normal 5 o'clock time.  The noon crowd is quite interesting, and mostly made up of senior citizens.  Their comments are varied, unique, and a lot of times funny to me.  For example:

Conversation #1:


I go into the locker room and there are two ladies whose lockers are near mine, most likely in their 70s.
Lady 1: Do either of you know where I can get embroidery done?
Lady 2: There is a place at Fox Valley Mall that did something for me a few years ago.
Lady 1:  Was it a store there?
Lady 2:  It was a stand in the center of the mall.
*I bet you 100% that the stand no longer exists*
Lady 1:  I really don't want to drive ALL THE WAY out to Fox Valley to get it done.
*It is about 25 minutes to get there*
Lady 2: Or, you could use the Yellow Pages to look up "embroidery" to see what shows up.
*I had not even thought of the Yell Pages in years.  It is all about Google nowadays.*
Lady 1: That is a GREAT idea!!!!

Conversation #2:
Setting: I'm on the elliptical trying to motivate myself to not get off after 1 minute.  (I ended up making it a whopping 2 miles.)
Man: I have to say this to you.  That is the brightest shirt I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!
Me: Yes, it is quite bright
*It was a neon pink zip up jacket.  It kind of looks like a highlighter exploded on it.
Man: I'll never lose sight of you.
*That is scary.  I don't even know you.

Conversation #3:
Old Indian Lady: You tall.  You play basketball?
Me: No, I don't.
Old Indian Lady: But you so tall.
Me: Smile.
Old Indian Lady: My daughter-in-law is tall like you.  She plays.
Me: Good for her.  I don't play basketball.  I'm a runner.
Old Indian Lady:  Why?  You should play basketball.
At that point, I gave up.

Conversation #4:
Old Asian Lady says something I cannot understand because of her accent.
I smile and nod in return.
She repeats something, more animated this time.
I smile and nod, still not having a clue what she said.
She says it again.
I say okay because I have no idea what she is saying.

Conversation #5: 
*This happened on Monday night as I was walking out of the gym*
Biker Dude:  I haven't seen you in ages!  Now my day is complete.  Are you enjoying your summer off?
Me:  I'm happy that I made your day complete.
We go on to talk about summer, golfing, cycling, running, injuries, the olympics, and the Boston Marathon.
I actually really like this guy, and hadn't seen him in a long time.  He was a world-class judo star and was going to go to the olympics but suffered a knee injury.

Have you overhead or taken part in any interesting conversations at the gym lately? My favorite conversation post can be found here.  I still go back and read it when I need a good laugh.  

2 comments:

  1. THIS made me laugh. The old ladies in the locker room? hahahahaha! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Thank you SO much for the Thursday laugh. Oh boy! I've had a few weird conversations like that before. I want to see a pic of that jacket. Sounds like something I would like (despite it being pink...).

    ReplyDelete