Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Getting Weighed at the Doctor's Office

On Monday, I went to visit my diabetes doctor.  I've said it before and I'll probably say it again in anther 3 months, but I think I have found a perfect match in a doctor.  One who understands me, with all of my quirks and idiosyncrocies and who is willing to answer all of my bizarre questions.

As I walked down the hallways to put my stuff in the exam room, I saw another doctor teaching a little girl, probably 3 or so, the Gangnam style dance.  The little girl then started to ride the horse and it was incredibly cute.

The visit with my doctor rather dull.  He looked at all of my thousands of numbers and told me they were the best he has ever seen for me.  He then told me my A1C, which is something I really don't like hearing.  I love numbers, but hate hearing this one because I feel like there is a lot of judgement associated with it.  Contrary to everyone else in the diabetic community, I am actually trying to raise my A1C.  Yes, make it higher.  My A1C was 5.8, although my goal is between 6 and 6.3.  However, I do think the 5.8 is an accurate reflection of the numbers I have been having lately.

When I told my doctor I wanted to raise my A1C, he said, "that is music to my ears.  It is one of the best things I've heard!"  See, my doctor is a bit odd, like myself.  I feel like most doctors would say "no, keep it below 6!"  But, he knows that I want it higher because it works out better for my athletic endeavors.  Maybe next time I'll meet my goal.

Other things we discussed included:

  • Drugs and doping in various sports (biking, running, and martial arts)
  • How some people think they are in their prime athletic careers when they are in their 50s
  • The temperature that insulin freezes at (it doesn't because it is close to your body, which generates heat)
  • The fact that Mitch Albom's books have gotten worse with each new one published
  • Clif Bars
  • Blood work
  • All other diabetes related things (not too exciting)

And weight/body image.  I asked him if it was possible to not be weighed every time I saw him.  It makes me worry about the number on the scale for weeks in advance.  I realize this is not healthy.  I just don't like how it makes me feel.  It is odd because I don't think I'm fat.  I feel normal, an average weight.  It wasn't until the holidays this year when all of my aunts told me that I was so skinny that I actually thought of myself as thin.  But, I just really don't like getting weighed at doctor's offices.  My doctor told me he had to get my weight once a year, but the other three times I see him it didn't matter.  Now, that was music to my ears.

Does getting weighed make you feel uncomfortable?  Or, is it just me?

1 comment:

  1. Your doc sounds so cool! I don't like the weight part either.

    ReplyDelete