Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Celebrating National Running Day

It seems like there is a holiday for just about everything, including running.  Today, June 1, is National Running Day.  All holidays must be celebrated, so I did a 5.5 mile run outside to enjoy the sunny weather.  I also ran a few miles inside while doing other cardio work beforehand.  However, I now have a hard time running inside.  I love the fresh air and the feeling that running outside gives me. 

I feel like even though June 1st is designated as National Running Day, I celebrate this holiday weekly.  Every day that I can run and am able to run is a day to celebrate.  Since I got a stress fracture two years ago, I have valued each run.  Some runs are fantastic and I feel like I could run forever at a fast pace, while others are slow and hard, and completing a few miles seems like a challenge.  However, I am always glad that my body can do it.  Even though my body reaps the benefits of running, I think my mind is benefited even more. 

Running allows my thoughts to go freely, for me to think about things happening in my life, what I want to do in the next hour, day, month, year, five years, etc.  I also think about decisions I must make.  Some of my best thoughts, insights, and decisions have been made while running.

I can't begin to express how much running has impacted my life in the past 13 years.  I've been running exactly half of my life.  It has shaped my life in countless ways.  I've spend hours, days, probably months running.  I've gotten a lot out of it, but put a lot into it.  I've grown as a runner, and look forward to in the future. 

The greatest thing about running is that it will always be there.  All I need to do is lace up my shoes and go.  The roads are calling...

“Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started.”
-Pre

Did you celebrate National Running Day today?  Or, are you like me, and celebrate it multiple times throughout the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment