Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Duathlon #2 Goals

I can't believe tomorrow is my second duathlon.  It seems like only yesterday I signed up for it, and now the time is already here for it.

How the Peanut Butter Duathlon and the Race Around the World Duathlon are Different:
  • PB was 2/14/2, with the runs on trail (grass) and the bike being incredibly hilly and circling the same course 3 times
  • RATW is 2/11/2, with the run an out and back (actually 2.1 miles I've been told), all flat, and the bike an out and back, with the only "hill" being a highway bridge overpass
  • PB had 153 participants, while RATW is sold out at 650
  • PB was a smaller, local race in Rockford.  RATW is a bigger race, much closer to Chicago.  The competition will be better at RATW.
  • RATW has a wave start.  First, it is young men, followed by master's men, then young women (me), and master's women.
  • I've already done 1 duathlon so I at least know a little bit of what to expect for this one!
  • I did the PB duathlon with my best friend.  I'm doing the RATW with another friend, but then two more of our friends are coming to cheer us on. 
Goals for the Race Around the World Duathlon:
  • Have fun!
  • Break 1:10
  • Run #1 - around 14 flat
  • Transitions around 30 seconds
  • Bike - around 40 minutes
  • Run #2 - around 15 flat
  • Top 1/3 overall
I feel like my goals listed above are challenging, yet attainable if I run up to my ability.  I've not done a very good job at tapering, or at preparing myself for the bike portion of the race.  I've only bike once since my metric century two weeks ago.  Tapering this week has been...well...rather nonexistent.  I did a short run yesterday and am taking today off, so that should help.  I know I will do well on the run, and am prepared to see people passing me on the bike.  Hopefully the race will go well.  I'm definitely looking forward to it!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! Sounds like a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog -- looking forward to learning more from ya!

    ReplyDelete