Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Race Around the World Duathlon Report

I was excited for this race and looking forward to seeing how well I could do.  The short version of the race report can be summed up in one word: awesome. 

My goals for the race were (and if they were accomplished):
  • Have fun! (check....had tons of fun!)
  • Break 1:10 (check...shattered it)
  • Run #1 - around 14 flat (check...under 14)
  • Transitions around 30 seconds (fail!)
  • Bike - around 40 minutes (check...under 35)
  • Run #2 - around 15 flat (check...under 15)
  • Top 1/3 overall (check!)
Meeting 6 out of 7 goals isn't too bad, if I do say so myself. 

Stats from the Metlife Race Around the World Duathlon:
Overall time: 1:05:39
Run #1 (2 miles): 13:55 (6:58 min/mile)
Transition 1: 1:16
Bike (11 miles): 34:57 (18.9 mph)
Transition 2: 50 seconds
Run #2 (2 miles): 14:38 (7:19 min/mile)

Overall: 112/492
Female: 15/206
25-29 Age Group: 3/22

Another medal - 3rd place in age group

After a restless night of trying to sleep, I eagerly got out of bed at a little before 5 when my alarm went off.  Having made my "to pack" list the night before, I got my things ready and was out the door a little after 6 so I could be at the race site a little after 7.  The race was a staggered start, which was so nice.  It was a lot less congested at the start line that what I am used to! 

I picked up my ankle chip and then got my bike to the transition area.  I wanted to get a good spot, near the front, but I was too late.  Luckily, some other lady was super smart and brought a balloon to tie to the bike racks.  I put my bike by the balloon, knowing I would be able to easily find it.  Thank you, wise lady!  I think I may need to try to do this in future duathlons.

After getting my bike in place, I started my warm up.  I felt good and knew that my goals were challenging, yet attainable if I ran (and biked) well.  Before I knew it, the racers were getting called to the start area.  I lined myself up at the very front, knowing that I wanted to start fast and not have to pass tons of other women at the beginning. 

The horn blew and off I went, and never looked back.  My first mile felt great - 6:35.  However, I knew that it was a little too fast.  I still had to bike and then do another run, so i backed off for the second mile, finishing Run #1 in 13:55 and feeling awesome. 

I'm not sure what I was doing in transition #1 for 1 minute 16 seconds?!!?  It is not the end of the world, but I was hoping to have better times on them.  Oh, well...there is always room for improvement.  I got on my bike and off I went on the 11-mile course. 

On the bike, I felt pretty good.  I didn't start to get passed until mile 4 or so and tried to keep up with some guys that were near me.  I ended up beating one at the finish of the bike and coming in just behind the other.  I am so pleased with how well I biked.  I am not a good biker, so getting under 35 minutes is a near miracle for me.  The bike was a total success!


Here I come (in pink)...run #2...with the ridiculous tan lines.

Transition 2 was better for me...only 50 seconds.  I started to feel a little tired at the end of the bike, so I wasn't sure how run #2 would go.  I knew I wanted to start fast and just pick people off as I went.  I feel like most people who complete in duathlons/triathlons are bikers.  The run is where I am able to succeed.  I wanted to run 7:30 splits, but ended up running faster.  This run felt pretty good.  At parts I felt like I was moving so slow, but my Garmin showed 7:30-something splits even when I was tired.  I must admit I was so happy to see the finish line, and even had some energy to sprint at the finish. 

I couldn't have asked for a better race. 


Getting my award.


My friends came and made signs...this is my sign.  Can you spot the awkward moose, turtle, and scorpion? :)

Did you race as well?  How did you do?

1 comment: