Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Weekend Recap: Cookie Carb-Loading and Ice Baths

It is only a little past 8:00 and I feel like I could fall asleep right now.  I guess that is what waking up at 5:00 a.m. for a 6:30 12-mile marathon training run will do to do, along with playing softball for 3 hours and lifting weights.  So, so tired!

I always tell people that I don't carb-load before runs and races.  I don't see the point.  It actually causes my blood sugar to go incredibly high, no matter how much insulin I take, or so it seems.  However, I did carb-load this weekend, except that it was 100% unhealthy. 

On Friday and Saturday I went to southern Iowa to visit my grandma.  I go visit her every summer for a night or two because I don't see her very often - only Christmas and sometimes Thanksgiving.  And, I love my grandma dearly so I always make the time to visit her. 

My grandma knows about my love of cookies and always makes me my favorite kind...white chocolate macadamia nut.  They are to die for.  (Random fact: I hate pies and cakes, but love almost all cookies.  Isn't that weird?!?)  Like a good grandchild, I happily ate the cookies she made for me and enjoyed every bite.  However, I did feel like I had gain 5,000 pounds this morning when I woke up for my long run.  I was happy that it was a long run day...I think my body needed to burn off some of those calories.

I plan to do a post on my marathon training this week, so I won't go into detail about the run.  But, it was good and I felt great, even in the high humidity/temperatures.

After the run I went to lift weights for a bit before coming back and taking an ice bath.  Jess recently took one, which reminded me of them.  When I ran cross-country in high school I took them all the time, but haven't since then.  Today was the day.

I forgot how painfully miserable it is to get into the ice bath.  It is the hardest thing for me.  I also had to get creative about where I wanted to put my insulin pump since it can't get wet.

Aren't tan lines attractive?  I've got the worst farmer's tan ever!  I also didn't take the picture quick enough...most of the ice had already melted.  But trust me, there was a lot of ice in there!

My insulin pump got clipped to my shirt so it wouldn't get wet.  It made me feel like a nerd.

I think I am going to have to start taking more ice baths given my current training plan.  The things runners do...

And I'm off to sleep.

Do you take ice baths?  Do you find that they help you?

Do you carb-load?  With cookies? :)

3 comments:

  1. I am not brave enough to try ice baths..... yet.

    Okay, your tan lines have me curious because they seem backwards to me.... I take it you run/ride with compression socks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear by those ice baths...just haven't had time to do them lately. And they do suck to get into...that's why you add the ice after you're in the tub :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lindsay: I'm posting about my tan lines and how I got them later in the week. Stay tuned :)

    @ Mark: That would make them more tolerable!

    ReplyDelete