Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

A Successful 22

Can you believe there are only 20 days until the Chicago Marathon?

It seems like I've been training forever, and the end has come....except I have to wait another 20 days.  I am more than excited and ready to run Chicago.  I'm ready to run, both physically and mentally.  Bring on the 26.2 adventure!

Yesterday was my last long run before the marathon - a great 22-mile run at an average of 8:31/mile pace.  It was cool, with the temperature in the 50s and it was raining lightly the majority of the time.  It was awesome...one of those days that you wish you could capture and replay for a race. 

One unique thing that my running club did was the had a race simulation yesterday.  They always have Gatorade set  up for us on a table every 3-4 miles during our training runs, but yesterday they had people "working the aid stations."  The Gatorade cups were filled and volunteers were handing them out to us, just like in a race.  They had Gu at a few of the tables as well, just like there will be in the race.  There was even a race photographer.  The pictures were put up on Facebook and it is interesting to see all the different reactions to the photographer.  He was at a few different spots on the run....just like in a real race.

Perhaps the most beneficial thing about yesterday was that they filled the Gatorade cups with Endurance Gatorade, which is what will be used during the actual marathon.  Typically we just have regular Gatorade, but there is a huge difference between the two drinks. 

I like Gatorade.  It does not upset my stomach, and although blue is my favorite, I don't mind lemon-lime or grape and I'll tolerate fruit punch. 

The first drink I took of Endurance I wanted to spit it back out.  It is soooo sweet!  Even for a person who consumes Gatorade regularly, this stuff was hard to stomach.  I'm not sure of the carbohydrates per glass, but judging by the sweetness I'd say it would have to be a lot. 

My original plan during the marathon was to take 3 Gu's during the race and Gatorade halfway between the Gu's.  I'd drink water to wash the Gu down.  Now, my plan is changing.  I still haven't finalized what I'll specifically be doing, but it won't involving drinking a cup of Endurance.

If you are running Chicago and never tasted Endurance before, I would strongly suggest doing so. 

This makes me even more thankful that my running club did the simulation marathon.  I would have been out of luck during the actual race.

Guess what came in the mail for me today?

My confirmation ticket...and the all-important details,.


Back of the ticket.  It bothers me, but just a little bit, that there are only old, white men pictured above.  How about a little diversity?  I do think the man in purple resembles Santa, though. 

2 comments:

  1. Soooo close, enjoy your reward for all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to hear about it.

    Sarah Jane

    ReplyDelete