Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Take Two: "I Never Thought THIS Would Happen to ME During Marathon Training"

I'm learning that I used to think that I was invincible.  Normal rules that applied to everyone else simply did not apply to me because...well, that is just the way it is.  However, I am, albeit slowly, realizing that I cannot do everything.  I'm also learning that it is okay not to do everything.  Small steps!

Last week I learned that I would not complete my marathon training cycle without missing a long run. 

This week?  I will gain weight during marathon training. 

I read a lot of articles, none of which I can find right now (how convenient), that said the majority of people who are training for a marathon gain weight.  I thought, "how crazy are those people?  how is that even possible?!?" 

Fact: You gain muscle when you run all of those miles.  Muscle weighs more than fat.  Therefore, you will most likely gain weight.

I noticed back in August that I gained a pound, but didn't think much of it.  I figured that since I was drinking a copious amount of water that it was just water weight and I would sweat it out another day while running.  Except, that never happened. 

Although I have only gained 1...or 2 pounds, depending on the day, I think it is mentally taking a toll on me.  When you are lighter, you can run faster.  During my recent half marathon, it crossed my mind that it was like I was carrying a 2-pound weight for the entire race. 

I am confident that the weight I gained is, in fact, muscle because my clothes fit the same.  They are not any tighter than they were before, which is encouraging.

Now....will the weight go away after the marathon?  Or, will I keep this weight on forever...as long as I run? Hm...

No comments:

Post a Comment