Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Feeling 400

Kim asked me the other day what it was like to be 400.  From my perception, everyone generally feels crappy when they have blood sugars that high, but everyone has different symptoms.

The average, non-diabetic person typically has a blood sugar between 80 and 120, depending things like eating and exercise.  But, on average, no lower than 80 and not above 120.  A person with type 2 diabetes who is not taking insulin runs higher than average - I believe in the upper 100s and lower 200s.  Most of the time, doctors tells these people to exercise and watch what they eat in order to lose weight.  For some people, it works, for others, it doesn't.  Many times they will end up on insulin.

Most people who are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes have incredibly high blood sugars at the time of their diagnosis.  I believe mine was in the 600s.  However, I don't remember much about my diagnosis because I was only 4.  Over time, I have become incredibly sensitive to high blood sugars.  I don't like how they make me feel and they interfere with how I want to live my life.  So how do they make me feel?

Imagine:

  • Being so thirsty that no matter how much water you drink, it isn't enough
  • Feeling like you could throw up at any moment
  • Like there is a cotton ball stuck in your mouth and you can't get it out
  • Your stomach hurts
  • You have varying degrees of headaches
That is why I try at all possible costs to avoid being high.  

Count your blessings if your pancreas works well!!

2 comments:

  1. It's like a really bad hangover but worse.
    I'm sensitive to my highs too. I used to not be this way but now anything over a 15mmol(270mg) and i feel like crap.
    It's all the physical symptoms you said as well as being totally moody and irritable in the worst way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this with me, and the normal ranges! That just sounds awful :( And I am not saying that to be mean... I just hope you don't hit 400 that much!!!

    ReplyDelete