Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

When time slows down...

I was born in the Hawkeye state - Iowa, and lived there for 18 years.  The movie Field of Dreams was also filmed in Iowa, about 30 minutes from the city where I was raised.  (Fun fact: my great aunt was actually in the movie.)  The picture below hangs in my parent's basement.   


Having lived in various other states throughout the Midwest (Minnesota, Ohio, and now Illinois), I can honestly say that time just slows down when I come back to visit.  The pace of life, or at least the life my parents live, is much calmer than mine.  It is not saying that they don't have things going on...tonight they are at some benefit dinner while I decided to come to Panera to take advantage of free internet and some research for upcoming races. 

One reason why my life always slows down here is because I always go to the spa. 


Aren't feet ugly?  However, my nail polish really seems to pop out against the totally 1990s green carpet.  :)  Actually, a lot of the main living area in their house has hardwoods, but my feet looked better against the carpet. 

I finalized my spring/beginning of summer race schedule tonight!  I'm excited and am doing events that I have never done before.  I need some new challenges/events to get into and to avoid injury.  As much as I love running, I know that I should be doing more biking and cross-training to become a stronger runner.  Starting in April, I am only going to be running 5 days a week instead of 6.  One day I plan on cross-training and then day 7 will be a rest day every week.  I am determined not to get injured this year with major races planned (Chicago Marathon!).  

  Instead of asking a question, I am going to leave you with some comments made by the people sitting around me in.  I know I'm not the only one who enjoys people watching/listening to them, right?  Quality entertainment.

"I am very careful about how many cups of coffee I drink a day.  I am tempted to get a cup right now, but I am not even sure how much caffeine they put in their decaf coffee." 

"I really like the music they play at church.  A lot of times I go home and try to download it, but I try to get it free so I don't have to pay for it."

"She wants to major in what?  A-qua-mar-ine biology?  What is that even? Like, what would you do?"

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha..... That's awesome. I like to listen to other conversations as well. It's pretty interesting since I walk through a college campus every day. Best one I've heard?

    Girl talking to her friend, "And then I was like, oh no! What if my mom found out I was pregnant before I did?"...........

    ReplyDelete