Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Motivation

I feel like 98% of the time, whatever my training tells me to run, I run, and run it happily.  I do love to run.  It is that other 2% of the time where I feel like I need a little extra motivation to get the miles in.  Tonight, my run was one of "those other 2%" types of runs.

Tuesday I completed a Yasso 800 workout in which I ran over 9 total miles.  Wednesday I did 4, which were supposed to be at a recovery-type pace, but ended up being sub-8:00 miles.  If my legs could talk, they probably would have yelled "what were you thinking?" at me when I looked at my plan that said "Thursday: 8 miles." 

After having a busy day, the last thing I really wanted to do tonight was go out and run 8 miles.  However, my running club meets on Thursday nights for group runs.  Seriously, the only thing that got me to the path where we run was the fact that I wanted to run with some of my friends.  I knew I wanted to run slow - 9:00-9:30 pace, which is what they typically run.  Running 8 miles with friends is so much better than running 8 miles by myself. 

The miles ended up going by quickly and it turns out that I averaged exactly 9:00 mile pace for the run.  I cannot count how many times I have thought about my running life before my club and after.  It has made a world of difference.  It has given me some extra motivation when I am lacking in that department. 

Have you ever struggled to get the miles on your training plan accomplished?  What has motivated you to complete them?

No comments:

Post a Comment