Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Racing in trainers vs. minimalist shoes

Decision, decisions, decisions.

I'm currently contemplating running a 5k on Saturday morning for time.  I know I'm in better shape than I was in March when I PR'd (21:13) and want to see what I'm capable of running.  But, I'm totally not tapered for it at all.  Tonight I ran 8+ miles.  I could take tomorrow off.  Ah, what to do.  The benefit of the 5k is that it is small and chip timed.  I can sign up the morning of the race, which is what I'll have to do if I run it.  What would you do?

* * * * *

Today's topic: racing shoes.  I currently train in 3 pairs of shoes.

I have minimalist shoes that I wear for my weekly Tuesday speed workouts: Saucony Kinvara 2.


One pair of gold Saucony Triumph 8s that I do all my other runs in.

Finally, a pair of blue Saucony Triumph 8s that I do all of my cross-training in.

Although I've done all of my speed work in my Kinvara's, the most I've ever run in them is 9 miles, which included a warm-up and cool-down mile.  I've raced in them a few times - my 8k in early August and then my first leg of Ragnar NW passage, which was a 10k.  My feet have felt fine during both.

On Labor Day, I'll be racing a hilly half marathon.  I am going to PR - getting that 1:3X time.  I'll be tapering for it starting after my long run on Sunday and I can't wait. 

There is just one thing I can't decide - which shoes to wear - my gold Triumph's or my Kinvara's?  Is it healthy to run a half in minimalist shoes?  I know Kinvara's are supportive minimalist shoes and nothing like the Five Fingers shoes, but still.  Ah, what to do?!?!

Do you have any advice for me about what shoes to wear?  Would you do a 5k on Saturday just to PR? 

No comments:

Post a Comment