Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Time to Reboot

Unlike many diabetics, I actually like my endocrinologist because he understands me and my incredibly type A personality, my love for all things exercise-related and running, my past history with doctors and having the disease, and all of my theories.  He does not agree with everything, but he understands, and that is far more important.  Another thing about him that I love is that he does not tell me my A1C anymore.  It is actually better for me not to know what it is, although I am 100% sure that sounds bizarre to the rest of the world. 

This week I got to go visit him for my quarterly appointment.  The last time I was there was a week after the Chicago Marathon, and since then, I would say my control has been rocky at best.  I am currently experiencing an extra long case of diabetes burnout.  In a discussion with a friend this week, I told her that I would swap my dysfunctional pancreas for her dysfunctional thyroid, but, unfortunately, she did not take me up on the offer.  Unfortunately, I am stuck with my pancreas for some time.  As of late, I have been on a roller coaster with my blood sugar numbers and overall have been feeling like crap.  I think I am burned out because of having diabetes for over 22 years and almost my entire life. 

Some big things were discussed with my endocrinologist, including all settings on my insulin pump.  I have not changed the settings since getting the pump in 2009, although my life has drastically changed.  My doctor and I discussed things, and he thought it was an ideal time for me to reboot.  I currently have 1 basal rate for the entire day, 2 insulin sensitivity settings, and 1 insulin to carb ratio.  I let him set my basal rate, but I got to set the insulin to carb ratio. 

After doing all of this resetting, I started to get nervous.  If I have constant high blood sugars, how will I  know exactly was to fix?  My doctor proceeded to laugh, only to tell me to pick up the phone and call him.  That gave me some peace. 

I've rebooted and feel good about it.  Changes needed to be made, and will now because of it.  I am hoping in another month I'll be out of burn out and into better control again.  Things can really only get better. 

What is your endo like?  Have you ever done a reboot? 

No comments:

Post a Comment