Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Colorado Trip - Post #2

Saturday morning we decided to hike Mount Garfield.


That is Mount Garfield in the distance.  I still can't believe I made it to the top, without ever having hiked one step in my life.  


My brother had warned me that it would be tough, not only due to the elevation, but also the steepness of the first mile.  When we got out of the car, I looked up and was ready for the adventure.  

The view from the parking lot

Within the first 5 minutes of the hike I was huffing and puffing.  I know I am not in incredible shape by any means right now, but I think I am in decent shape.  This hike proved that elevation makes a huge difference.  Here I am, gasping for air, while my brother is barely breathing, like we are taking a stroll in the park.  Luckily, he was kind enough to stop multiple times on our way to the top.

I didn't know what 2,000' looked like until this trip.  We don't have hills in the Midwest.

Views on the way up.

Looking down below.  You can see the cars on Interstate 70.

Horse shit, passed on our way to the top.


The view from the top.  You could see for miles.

This stone is at the very top of Mount Garfield.

One more picture. 

It took us about 2.5 hours for the entire hike, including our multiple stops for pictures, hydrating, and eating Shot Bloks for low blood sugar.  When we finished, we were both thirsty and I was hungry.  We went to a fruit stand in Palisade to get cherries and peaches, and then got beverages nearby to rehydrate.



The day was far from over.  That night we participated in a gong-a-thon which involved more running and hiking...

No comments:

Post a Comment