Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Colorado Trip - Post #3

By Saturday afternoon, I was tired.  Hiking up Mount Garfield was tiring and after our stop to get peaches and cherries, we went back to my brother's house to nap.  I don't remember the last time I took a nap was, but this nap was needed.  After waking up, having dinner, playing with the dog, it was time to go to the Gong-athon.

What is a gong-athon?  It was a 2.5 mile trail run/walk organized by his running club.  After each lap, you recorded the time you finished and then got to bang the gong to let everyone know you just finished another lap.  The event started at 7 PM, but we got there more at 9 or so.  Our first lap was walked with other people, and I tried my hardest to figure out the course.  However, everything looked the same: sandy and beige.  There were orange flags marking the path, but at some points they were so far apart and we had trouble finding the correct path.

We ended up walking the first lap, running the second, and running most of the third with some walking at the end.  We finished around midnight because after each lap we talked with the people at the start.  By that time, I was tired.  Colorado is an hour behind Chicago, so I felt like it was 1 AM, a time I don't see too often.

We went back to his house, ate yet again, and then I went to bed.  The next morning we got up and went hiking again...

No comments:

Post a Comment