Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Not Even Pink Eye Can Stop Me

After complaining  writing yesterday about my lack of desire to run in the darkness and cold some days, I woke up with a renewed sense of dedication to my race schedule today.  When my alarm went off at the ungodly ugly hour of 4 AM, a full 2 hours earlier than normal, I hit snooze for only 15 minutes then got up, packed various bags, made my lunch, and was out the door by 4:50 to go to the gym. 

Let me say - the gym is a totally different place at 5 AM compared to 5 PM, my normal time.  There was only one problem - on the way to the gym my contacts were killing my eyes.  I had brought my glasses along, something I usually don't do, because I thought I might need to take my contacts out after my afternoon workout.  They ended up coming out before my morning run.

I knocked out 5 miles on the treadmill before going to school to teach for the day.  However, at school, my eyes were irritated.  It was hurting to blink some hours, but fine other hours.  Another teacher told me some students had been diagnosed with Pink Eye at school today.  I called the eye doctor after school, got an appointment, only to learn that I, too, have Pink Eye. 

What does this mean?  I have to wear my glasses for the next week, put drops in my eyes 4 times a day, and not go to school tomorrow.  That means I get to sleep in and (hopefully) accomplish things because I feel fine.  In a way, I feel like I am somehow cheating the system.

After getting the Pink Eye diagnosis, I went back to the gym to run another 5 miles, bike, and lift weights.  I don't know how some people can do 2-a-days religiously.  Bravo to you if you can.  I prefer to sleep instead.

Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 40s and sunny...a perfect day for an 8 mile tempo.  This sick day could not have come at a better time.  :)

Are you a two-a-day person, or do you want to be?  I always feel very intense when I do two workouts in one day.  The ladder half of that sentence has occurred about 5 times in my life.  I think it is safe to say that I am not a 2-a-day person.

1 comment:

  1. I have often THOUGHT about doing 2 a day, but never actually accomplished it :)

    ReplyDelete