Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Another Diagnosis

For the past week I have felt something in my right calf. It is hard to explain, definitely comes at random times - before, during, and after runs, sometimes hurts a lot and sometimes it is just a little nag, and, frankly, was driving me crazy. I thought I might have a stress fracture, but then wondered for sure because I could run through the pain most days. Yesterday I decided that I could not take it anymore and I gave my sports medicine doctor a call. I saw him for my knee problem in the fall and loved him. The receptionist got me in to see him today, for which I was ever thankful.

I told him what was going on with my leg and then he told me my diagnosis: I have achilles tendinitis. I was thrilled to hear it! Usually, people would hate to find out they have this, but I was just so happy and relieved that it was not a stress fracture. Yay! Since I "caught it early" I mostly need to heat, ice, and do a lot of stretching various times throughout the day. He said he could send me to physical therapy again, like he did in the fall, but thought I should be able to "cure" it on my own. I sure hope so.

I don't really know much - rather, anything - about achilles tendinitis, but plan on doing some major research on it this weekend. I have not been feeling the greatest recently, and tonight is no different. However, I am just hoping it will go away soon.

Have you ever had achilles tendinitis? If so, how long did it last? What did you use to treat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment