Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Vitamin Discussion

For the most part, I am a pretty easy-going person. I could care less who wins the Superbowl tonight. However, the things I am passionate about I am 110% passionate about, such as running, working out, diet, some issues that relate to the Continent of Africa (Darfur, AIDS), diversified curriculum and assessment, and the fact that happiness is your choice, just to name a few.

A friend of mine and I recently were talking about vitamins. This would be an issue that I am somewhat passionate about, since it deals with health. Her view is that if you eat a balanced diet then you do not need to take vitamins. She has not taken one vitamin in her entire life, which I find rather amazing. I asked her if her entire family was anti-vitamins, and she said her mom, who is a nurse, instilled in her the "if you eat a balanced diet you will be healthy" motto. Therefore, her two brothers, dad, mom, and her do not take vitamins. She also told me that ideally she would never take them.

I do not agree with her view. I am a big proponent of vitamins. I started taking them at a young age off-and-on, and then regularly once I got into high school. As I've gotten older, I have started to take more vitamins. I currently take a multivitamin and calcium plus vitamin d, and then iron supplements. If I am sick, then I'll take vitamin C as well. My dad got me hooked on vitamins. For the longest time, I could not swallow a pill to save my life. One night, we had a "pill-swallowing lesson" at our kitchen table where my dad told me he was going to teach me how to swallow pills...something he deemed a necessary part of life. Well, the lesson worked and I started taking vitamins the next day. My dad, mom, brother and I all take vitamins. To be honest, I am not sure about my sister, but I think she might. My personal philosophy is that vitamins cannot hurt you in any way. For most people, what they consume varies day-to-day, and, therefore, might not get the proper amount of vitamins everyday.

I am not normal. I eat the same thing pretty much every day, and always have. I have the ability to eat the same thing for year(s) and never tire of it. Do you think I can make it into the world record book for this feat (/digress)?!? What is the worse thing I can do by taking extra vitamins? I was once told you just pee them out. Although I have never checked into this, I have chosen to believe it. I am not hurting myself, just helping me be a healthier person.

Are you a vitamin person?

1 comment:

  1. Well, you can hurt yourself by taking too much of some vitamins, but then again, you can definitely get sick from not getting enough of some vitamins.
    I'm with you on this topic, but maybe with a different perspective.
    My goal is not just health, but optimum health. Good enough may not be good enough.

    ReplyDelete