Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Questions...Answered

It has been a while, but here are my answers to some very interesting questions.

Big Daddy Diesel asked:

Would you ever consider a multi-sport event?  Triathlon?  Duathlon?  Aquabike?
This spring I decided to try my first-ever multi-sport event, a duathlon. I really liked the first duathlon I competed in and decided to sign up for another one in the early summer.  I hope to race in a few duathlons next year as well.

I love running, and am getting better at biking, but I cannot swim.  I hate swimming, so a triathlon would be challenging for me.  I took swimming lessons when I was a kid, but don't know how to properly do the swimming strokes.  Plus, I am afraid of the water.  If I did decide to sign up for a triathlon, I would have to get a swim coach.  I do want to conquer this fear and compete in at least one triathlon.  I just don't know when that will be.

As far as the aquabike is concerned, I don't think I would compete fast enough to finish a race.  I'm a slow biker and right now cannot even swim properly.  It would be pretty entertaining to watch. 


If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

Harriet Tubman.  Her life fascinates me.  She was such a strong and courageous woman.

What childhood memory that, back when you were a kid, you didn't like doing, but now, you wished you enjoyed it better because you really miss it?

My family (all 5 of us) used to go to a tree farm every December and walk up and down the trails, searching for that perfect Christmas tree to adorn our living room.  Of course, my sister, brother and I always thought that our tree was the best tree.  Ultimately, I think my dad decided on the tree, while my mom was there to console the children who didn't get their favorite tree picked.  My dad would then cut it down with the saw that they gave us and we would haul it back to the little hut to pay for it while sipping on hot chocolate to regain feeling from being outside for so long. 

Now, my parents still cut down their Christmas tree, but do it in December when none of the kids  are home.  I miss going to the farm to do so, even though I didn't like it a  whole lot when I was younger. 

One unique tradition my family has is that my parents  always wait  to  decorate  the main  tree  until all  of the kids  are home.  The past 5 or so years, we have decorated the tree on Christmas Eve.  My mom sets up a fake tree in another room, which she decorates earlier in December. 
Do penguins have knees?

I had to laugh at this question.  My first thought was, "No, they don't."  But then I started thinking about it some more and got curious.  As it turns out, according to the Internet, penguins do have knees.  Who knew?  Not me!


Scully asked: 

What are your future running plans?


I am only doing one more race for 2011, which I'll be blogging about this week.  But, after that, I am going into retirement for the rest of the year.  For the month of December, I plan on running with no plan.  I'll log the miles, and run the distance and speed I desire.  In January I'll resume training.  I did the same thing last year and it worked out well, so I'm hoping for the same this year.

I am not sure what 2012 will bring.  It depends on how I'm feeling.  I would have never predicted at this time last year that I would race so much in 2011.  I know I'll be racing, though.  Much of it depends on another factor that I cannot and do not want to discuss. 

What are your hobbies outside of pounding the pavement?
I am a teacher and teach at what I would describe as a "high school prep" private grade school that caters to wealthier families.  I teach 10 different classes, so preparation and grading for each subject is time-consuming.  Besides trying to become a better teacher, running/working out and sleeping, I like to read, shop, learn, and occasionally draw/sketch pictures.  Another aspect of my life that I have never talked about is my faith, which also consumes some of my time.

Did you know that penguins have knees?

2 comments:

  1. - Swimming is the part that most people have the biggest problem with.

    - We did the same thing at xmas when we lived in Ohio and it all changed when we moved to Arizona, your story brought up a great childhood memory THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your running plans sound nice. I, too am looking forward to running for myself without any specific goals.

    Who knew that penguins had knees? i didn't even think they had legs!

    ReplyDelete